Re: Web Filter

Author: Ben Francom
To: nathan, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Web Filter
> Are you installing some other filter program? A dedicated linux system for
> filtering such as Endian, or what?

Dedicated *nix system running Squid + SquidGuard

> It does not have to update all the time, but occassional updates rather than
> re-installing the system every 6 months as with the endian updates would be
> kind of nicqe.

Just update with your distro. Most have squid/squidGuard in their
repos. Shalla blacklists can be scripted automatically to download.

> The system I am installing it on is a celeron 1300 with 256 ram.
> While sufficient, in the past it has not been the greatest for phrase
> filtering, so I am primarily interested in banning ip and site lists, though
> phrase lists would be nice as well.

Neither squid nor squidGuard do phrase filtering, but we have had good
success with using blacklists and whitelists. We run it at a school
with a whitelist for the students (nationalgeographic.com,
wikipedia.org) and blacklists for the teachers.

It is extremely fast:
100,000 requests in 10seconds on a 500MHz Pentium with lists of
      5900 domains
      7880 urls
    13780 total
see: http://www.squidguard.org/about.html