Re: New Linux user training?

Author: Kristian Erik Hermansen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: New Linux user training?
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Alan Dayley <> wrote:
> One evening we were confirming that his 8GB SD card was working
> properly. He claimed it would not. We discovered that the path to the
> card when inserted in the system was /media/SD_MMC (or something like
> that). He wondered, of course, why it was not "drive D:" And then he
> made a comment to this effect:
>
> "Am I going to have to learn lots of new things with this. Maybe I
> should just buy Windows for it since I already know that."

The best comes from the horse's mouth...
"""
According to Torvalds the reason Linux hasn't taken off is that most
people are happy with the way things are. "If you act differently from
Windows, even if you act in some ways better, it doesn't matter;
better is worse if it's different." Torvalds also attributes much of
the frustration with Windows Vista to this same idea. In other words,
it's not that Vista is worse than XP, but it's different and that
causes distress among users.
"""

I think Linus hits the nail on the head here :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."