Re: Stupid question on suspend/resume and command-line FTP

Author: fouldragon@aol.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Stupid question on suspend/resume and command-line FTP

>Default number of TCP retries is 6 in exponential backoff and should
>time out after a few minutes. That's how long you have to
>resynchronize your TCP stream before the other end destroys the
>session...

Ten panicked seconds shouldn't be a problem then.

>TCP ensures that data is not corrupted, so if the program was written
>properly, all packets should be sent and received correctly, but who
>knows if the app you are using has signaling issues ;-/

That's reassuring. :eyes roll:

>No. You should be using md5sum or some other hashing algorithm to
>verify things like this...

In theory, but the other box can only be reached via FTP (it's
basically rented space) so running an md5sum function ain't happening
unless I devote another four or five hours to FTPing down the file I
just put up.

I should probably just set the backup to run again Saturday at 3AM when
nobody's on the system.

>Agreed :-) I just glanced over your email, but you do know about

screen right?

Wasn't that the thing that let you run multiple windows in a
command-line terminal?