Re: 5th undersea cable cut!

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: 5th undersea cable cut!
I guess if you keep up with the exchange rate and make account for it in your contract you will be okay.

We are in a global economy!

Charles Jones <> wrote:        Joshua Zeidner wrote:
On 2/7/08, keith smith <> wrote:

A weaker dollar is not always a bad thing. With a weaker dollar our goods
and services are more globally affordable.

actually for folks like us a weak dollar is the greatest news we can get. Weak Dollar = outsourcing no longer financially viable. Also, all companies commited to platforms and organizations tied into outsourcing, specifically in India : costs++; . Generally as the dollar weakens, companies will look more and more towards extremely cheap and cost effective platforms = LINUX + OSS.
What if companies start wanting to pay contract rates in Euros? :)
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN0655798320080206

re. cut cables: I don't think that they would do this to effect the
oil trade in the long term. It seems to be more of a short term
tactical move of some sort, which to me is cause for alarm.

Yes definitely short term, since the cables should all be able to be repaired within a few weeks. What are reasons to cut a countries communication lines? None of them bode well.

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877
PHP Programmer