Re: Weasels

Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Weasels
Ted Gould wrote:

> I understand their need to protect their trademark but a more reasonable
> policy like "noting the changes in a significant way" or some such would
> be more friendly. It's difficult to find a vectored Firefox logo also,
> they only release compiled copies (bitmaps).

FWIW that is the policy and Debian continually broke it. I read the
threads on debian and mozilla mailing lists to reseach the issue. The
chief complaint was that Debian would submit giant patches instead of
smaller (manageable) ones back to Mozilla. This made it extremely
difficult to validate, examine, and approve the Debian Derivative of
Firefox. Moz foundation felt a need to protect the quality of the
trademark. Debian is working with limited resources and felt they could
not work within the guidelines that moz set out. They also did not like
the use of a restricted TradeMark in the overall Debian project (yes I
know that's hypocritical and moot).

I see both sides opinions and think this is one of those cases where
both are right. The GPL allows for this. Everyone keeps using the
code--regardless of the name. That's the point.

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.