Re: How To Measure Linux Proficiency?

Author: alex@crackpot.org
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How To Measure Linux Proficiency?
Quoting Joshua Zeidner <>:

> As I said... "Kafkaesque".
>
> The Question is... how does an employer measure Linux expertise objectively?
>
> -jmz

I think the truth is that, like most other things to do with real
people, you can't measure 'expertise' objectively. The question
you're trying to answer is 'how effectively will this person fill the
position we're hiring for', and that's something you only truly answer
in hindsight.

I agree with you that simple tests are, well, simple. But that
doesn't mean they're worthless, they just need to be kept in
perspective as a limited measure of what a person can do. I also
agree that earning an advanced degree does show a person has
commitment, and should have a good general understanding of the
subject. But none of that is a guarantee. I've met a lot of
knotheads with masters degrees (in many fields).

You find out what people know, and what they're good at, by talking to
them and finding out about what they've done in the past. It's not
objective by any means, but I think it's also less artificial than
trying to establish arbitrary tests or benchmarks.

alex