Re: OT: accounting via spreadsheet

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: accounting via spreadsheet

You have quite the credentials there. I've written and rewritten several accounting systems both accrual and cash accounting in Fox DOS and Visual FoxPro. It has been a while.

My needs are so simple I'm thinking a simple cash accounting system will do.

I need to track expenses by category and time, income by category and time, summarize projects, and need an income/loss statement. Nothing very elaborate.

R P Herrold <> wrote: On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, keith smith wrote:

> Is there a need for an accounting application that will give
> the user access to their data?
>
> What platform would it run on? Win or Linux or both?

not sure who that was directed to -- my reply below:

> R P Herrold wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time I had the job of integrating QuickBooks
>> data with our online order processing system (PHP/MySQL
>> application).

> thanks!!

I have worked in heterogenous environments (dumb serial
terminal, Windows putty, *nix terminal program, mac OS/X
terminal program) providing accounting (GL, AR, AP, check
writing, financial reporting, custom reports, PR) (and indeed
full shop floor management: Job costing, BOM, scheduling, pick
lists, bill of lading) with a TUI interface with a couple of
solutions: ROI, and Add+On, running respectively on HP-UX, and
SCO (pre Daryl); I've written parts of over the years since
s/360 days in COBOL (PR, inventory management, scheduling).

My particular desire it to be able to ditch QuickBooks (basic
accounting [therefore not even with tamper resistant
journalling], and checkwriting) and by so doing, poweroff the
Windows 95 box I keep alive for it, and to move to a FOSS
solution, but to retain the ability to have a accounting
professional not 'ream me' (by requiring re-keying all from
scratch) if/when I need that accounting professional to
'bless' my books and the reports produced therefrom.

I _can_ write it again; I just don't _want_ to do it alone nor
should it need to be done from scratch in the FOSS world at
this late date ;)

-- Russ herrold

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877