Re: OT: accounting via spreadsheet

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: accounting via spreadsheet
Am 28. Jan, 2008 schwätzte keith smith so:

> I share your concerns and you make a good point. Isn't the quickbook data format public knowledge? I'm not familiar with QuickBooks, however I would expect you can export your data in comma or tab delimited format.

We've had a couple of threads about trying to export data from QuickBooks.
Apparently it isn't that easy. I've been told that one of the common
proprietary accounting packages will export data, but it only exports a
subset of the data. I don't remember the specifics, but something like
having the numbers and dates for transactions, but not categories that
you've entered.

Some questions for those clamoring for QuickBooks exports.

Does QB export data at all?

If so, what formats does it export to? IIF? QIF?

If so, what data isn't being exported if it's not a full data dump?

> I'm in the same boat. I used paper ledgers last year. Not very effective. I'm looking for a solution that will provide me more info and greater ease of use.
>
> It is my understanding most accountants want you to use QuickBooks.

We're trying to find one who'll use something else.

> To me it is a decision of time and money. I need an effective solution that will not cost me hours and hours to come up with. My spreadsheet formula skills are very minimal.

Yes, the goal is to use a Free Software project. There are many to choose
from, such as GNUcash, SQLledger, kmymoney and myphpmoney.

> If I were to build something I would probably make is browser based and it would take hours and hours to create.

Use something that already exists :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
#  I took the one less traveled by,
#  And that has made all the difference. -- Robert Frost
#  I, OTOH, prefer to just go stomping through the desert... - der.hans