Re: how best to convert a pdf to a high-res jpg? Solved!

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: how best to convert a pdf to a high-res jpg? Solved!

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 16:02 -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:44, Jon M. Hanson wrote
> > You're doing proofs of a publication by printing them at Costco? Any
> > publisher (including Kinkos) can take a PDF file. I can't believe
> > your publisher in Michigan would take a JPG file over a PDF file.
>
> You're missing my point (or I'm failing to make it clearly).
>
> The reason for getting a photo print proof is to be able to
> see and confirm the colors and to provide hardcopy to the
> printer to make sure they print correct colors.
>
> We do send the pdf file to the printer, but provide the photo
> print image to make sure they get the print colors that match.
>
> Kinko's quotes $15.00 per square foot for photo gloss.
> Costco glossy photo prints are $1.49 for 8x12 or $2.98 for 12x18

----
I hope you aren't of the opinion that there is actually calibration
between your screen, their printer - tossing it through a conversion
just adds to the confusion.

The point I'm making...that's why people in Advertising do press checks
because color is entirely subjective until the ink hits the paper.

Craig