Re: Laptop

Author: Michael Havens
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Laptop
> Michael Havens wrote:
> > well..... there are 2 things that it may be.... a:

>Don't use it as a firewall! At least, I wouldn't.

not the notebook as a firewall but the tower that I've had since 95 and that
has had linux on it since 2001

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 9:27 pm, Alan Dayley wrote:

> If Linux can read the contents, and you care about them, back up what
> you care about and attempt a clean Linux install. That's what I would
> do. If that doesn't work, buy a new hard drive. For that relatively
> small cost you have an excellent notebook!

My father ran the restore utility once and erased everything so there is
nothing worth saving left. I spent aout .5 hour looking for some files he
said he wanted.... oops! I was going to copy them to a USB drive and then put
them on the tower and email them. Yet alas! they are gone. I know I coulld
look this up but how does one format a drive with a windows file system....
what I amm thinking is that the filesystem got corrupted and then windows
couldn't read it.
What do you think about that?