Re: A new wrinkle in the Howell case

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: A new wrinkle in the Howell case

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 08:43 -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 07:31 -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> >> Apparently the RIAA tried to get a law through congress last year
> >> making it a infringement of copyright to simply have copies of
> >> copyrighted files in one's shared folder.
> >> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070730-attempted-infringment-appears-in-new-house-intellectual-property-bill.html
> >>>

> >> Under this law, 'attempted infringement' or 'making available' would
> >> have been actionable and the record companies would not have had to
> >> prove that actual infringement took place.
> > ----
> > since no such law was passed, this is relevant how?
>
> I would seem to show that under current law there is no such thing as
> attempted copyright infringement and to demonstrate that the RIAA
> knows that. The fact that they lobbied hard in 2004 and 2007 for a
> new law shows that they thought the old law inadequate.

----
Aside from the implications in general, how does this apply to Howell?

Your subject clearly states that this is a wrinkle in the Howell case?

I fail to see the relevance but you are the attorney here. Please make
your case. I don't recall ever seeing an attorney offering as evidence,
laws that were never passed but you obviously have other notions.

Craig