Re: RIAA v Howell cleanup

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: RIAA v Howell cleanup

On Jan 12, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Marvin O Fretwell wrote:

> Why the RIAA's "new found" reticence to say copying your own music
> is not a copyright violation?
> Perhaps because their lawyers have recently advised them to quit
> saying it; for some convoluted legal reason?

That's what their spokesman said.

In a 2006 letter to the copyright office, one of the submitters,
presumably the RIAA, makes a curious comment. They defend DRM schemes
on CDs on the grounds that they could be effective in preventing file
sharing but also on the grounds that there aren't any access controls
that prevent ripping. The letter is available here.
<http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/riaa-believes-m.html>
The weird comments are on pages 31 and 32.

> It is curious, because in the past, the RIAA certainly has openly
> said personal copying was okay with them (even great!).
> Take a look at this archive of their "Ask the RIAA" Q&A.

Sony was already successfully sued for their 'Root Kit' DRM. Could it
be that by admitting that ripping is a right they would be opening
themselves up to further lawsuits?

I stand by my guess that Sony and maybe others are taking a radical
position and that at least some companies within the RIAA want to be
more reasonable. The result is that the RIAA won't say anything
straightforward.

--
The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here and
you are out there