Re: IPTables Intermittent Stopping

Author: Joshua Zeidner
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: IPTables Intermittent Stopping
On 1/7/08, Jay <> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>
> > That is not really a safe assumption. Nmap is not really that
> > accurate of an instrument. If you are concerned for some other
>

> I have tried two port scanners (one being nmap, and two versions of nmap
> at that), from three source locations. All show the same behavior.
> Regardless of whether nmap is great or not, it is certainly accurate
> enough to tell if a given port is simply open/closed/filtered.

not reliably though. make sure the other port scanners you are
using arent just some UI for Nmap. Is this machine running IP tables
some kind of gateway/firewall?

> Nonetheless, I am seeing the same results from another port scanner too.

just verify that these other scanners are not just a new face for
Nmap, which is very possible. you may also try ps and lsof to make
sure that IPtables is not being killed, if the current theory is that
IPtables is being terminated for some reason.

-jmz