Re: Sccts guy contradicts RIAA document

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Sccts guy contradicts RIAA document
On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 21:28 -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > The story wasn't what was in the pleadings, regardless of what Fisher
> > said. He got the story right but he is not, nor will he ever be an
> > intellectual property expert.
>
> No, he did not 'get the story right'. He said he was reporting on the
> pleadings and then he misrepresented what the pleadings said. They are
> fairly straightforward but if he really didn't understand them, then
> he had an obligation not to file his report.
>
> I don't believe he misunderstood the pleadings. He simply
> mischaracterized and sensationalized them.
> >

> > Plaintiff continually refuses to admit that defendant has any legal
> > right to have mp3 versions of CD's on his computer for any reason.
>
> *After* Fisher's story was published the plaintiff's spokesman
> wouldn't confirm that his client recognized the right to have personal
> copies. That can't conceivably make Fisher's story accurate. If I post
> a story to this list saying that Craig White died yesterday it is
> hardly an accurate story simply because you are not immortal.

----
your absurd analogy notwithstanding, here's a thumbnail of what just
happened.

On December 30, 2007 Mark Fisher writes a story headlined, "Record
Industry Goes After Personal Use"

On January 3rd, the president of the RIAA, Cary Sherman on radio is
incapable of articulating what the RIAA considers free use when asked
the question point blank.

I mean, c'mon Cary, can I legally rip my CD's and store a copy on my
computer?

The president of the RIAA won't answer the question.

It no longer matters what was in the Washington Post story.

or to use Rudy who articulates these things with a clarity that eludes
me...

9/11 changed everything.

Craig