Re: What the RIAA really said.

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: What the RIAA really said.
On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 18:16 -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > and one more thing that is quoted in the referenced motion for Summary
> > Judgment (by the plaintiffs) which was actually taken from the jury
> > instructions of Capitol Records v. Thomas...
> >
> > "The act of making copyrighted sound recordings available for
> > electronic
> > distribution on a peer-to-peer network, without license from the
> > copyright owners, violates the copyright owners’ exclusive right of
> > distribution, regardless of whether actual distribution has been
> > shown."
> >
> > Which basically means that if you have both copies of copyrighted
> > music
> > files on a hard disk that has smb/nfs/ssh/sftp/ftp/http/afpovertcp
> > file
> > sharing protocols, you are deemed in violation of the copyright
> > owners,
> > which clearly comes back to the original supposition...that it's
> > probably illegal to turn on your computer.
>
> Craig, I just don't understand this need for so many in the technical
> community to make these hysterical sounding straw-man arguments. I
> don't agree at all that the RIAA is equating Kazaa with "smb/nfs/ssh/
> sftp/ftp/http/afpovertcp" since both common usage and technically
> correct language don't identify any of the latter as forms of a "peer-
> to-peer network". And if your chain of reasoning actually leads you to
> literally believe that the RIAA is so foolish as to assert that "it's
> probably illegal to turn on your computer", then you really need to
> examine you chain of reasoning.
>
> If the RIAA were really silly people who would make such clearly
> specious arguments then they would be no threat at all. Let me
> assure you that, despite a few egregious missteps, they are serious
> people who understand the difference between someone sharing a file
> between her personal computers behind a NAT router and sharing files
> with the whole world over Kazaa.

----
It's not straw-man arguments at all...A business exists behind a NAT
router and the RIAA would never differentiate between whether the files
were shared within behind the NAT router or through the NAT router.

A university would likely use NAT routing and I can't see the RIAA
differentiating between the protocols that are shared beyond the router
or behind the router.

You must remember that the various protocols I mentioned are indeed
tcp/ip protocols and boundaries are artificially defined as to whether
they are allowed to pass through a router or not but the process is the
same regardless AND they meet every definition of a peer-to-peer network
ever considered.

Personally, I can't imagine anyone technically knowledgeable making the
argument that you made above, at least not without some ulterior motive.

Craig