Windows desktop visual development tool

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Windows desktop visual development tool
Hi Everyone,
I'm posting this to multiple list so some of you might see this again.
I'm looking for a Windows desktop visual development tool to do stuff like:
1) scrape website content
2) pass through CAPTCHA challenges
3) would like a light weight database
I might actually use it for other things as well, just not sure yet what else I might need it for.
A friend uses Delphi and recommended that. I'm not sure I need to do Windows API calls, however one never knows.
Not interested in a whole windows suite, however maybe I could use VCC. Only concern is I might get sucked into Dot Net..... Then five years from now I wake up clean shaven and wearing a tie and wondering how it all got this way.....
As I write this I'm thinking C++ might be the natural selection because it will allow me to build skills that I can transfer to Linux if I ever decide to do any Linux Programming.
Any ideas or pointers are much appreciated.
Keith

Keith Smith
(480) 584-4772
PHP Programming