Re: Samsung 712N and xorg.conf

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Samsung 712N and xorg.conf
From: Jerry Davis <>
> I am trying to get my Dad's computer working with his Samsung SyncMaster
> 712N, and am having some trouble. I am 2000 miles away which doesn't help
> with the debug either.

Remote debugging--just say no. It can get really difficult to do this sort
of thing when one end doesn't have a good grasp on tech. But read on...

> Samsung SyncMaster 712N
> HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
> VertRefresh 40.0 -70.0

Are those accurate? LCDs may need higher ranges for these than the monitor
can actually do, because LCDs don't *have* Hsync and Vsync the way CRTs do.

> Driver "nv"

Should work OK for now, until he wants 3D.

> Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "648x480"

Google says the Samsung 712N has a native resolution of 1280x1024. So edit
xorg.conf and add that Mode to the Modes line, then restart X.