Re: generating man pages

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: generating man pages
From: Technomage-hawke <>
> does anyone on the list here happen to know what tool or tools are used to
> generate man pages from sources (even to creating them from scratch if need

> be)?

man pages are text documents written using the groff markup language. This
is mostly due to Hysterical Raisins; roff was useful back in the day and
they've continued the tradition. I know that LyX can export to something
like a man page format, and Jade includes docbook2man. It's possible to
write man pages by hand as well, though this is tedious.