Re: Broadband / DSL recommendations?

Author: Alex LeDonne
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Broadband / DSL recommendations?
On Nov 28, 2007 12:15 PM, Micah DesJardins <> wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendations. Anyone have any experience with
> Speakeasy? They will apparently drop a dedicated line for
> approximately $55 a month. I have just had horrible luck with DSL
> piggybacked off the existing phone lines and would rather not repeat
> that experience.

My experience is in Atlanta, but...

I have naked DSL (er, OneLink DSL - the non-line-share kind) with
Speakeasy. Speakeasy has been very reliable - one significant outage
due to a NAP-hosted router going belly-up, but these things happen.
Their customer service has been excellent. Specific anecdotes:

- During troubleshooting, a staffer was able to walk through changing
an IP address on Linux (sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx). I think
most of their techies are linux-savvy.
- After a lightning strike, they helpfully suggested I could get a new
modem free for another 1-year signup. I took them up on it instantly.

They block nothing. Their TOS are extremely reasonable and 100%
home-server-friendly - run mail, SSH, web, and any other servers you
like. You can resell their bandwidth over WiFi and have them handle
the billing - all with a home subscription. They include a good NNTP
subscription in your service.

They were recently acquired by Best Buy, but I have seen 0 changes in
their operations in the ensuing months.

Your/Others' MMV.

-Alex