Re: ****Re: ****Re: ****What's up with 64 bit Linux

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ****Re: ****Re: ****What's up with 64 bit Linux
On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 18:46 -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007, at 5:49 PM, Jon M. Hanson wrote:

> I readily admit that what I can easily find on the web corresponds to
> the "Compatibility mode can only be set at boot time so it's not
> something you can switch back and forth while the system is running"
> model that you lay out above and that model is perfectly consistent
> with what Craig reports. Something is missing though. These machines
> can run either 32 or 64-bit Windows but only 64-bit Linux. It doesn't
> make sense.

----
but that isn't what I said at all.

It's not that 32 bit Linux can't run on these systems...it's that the
code within the i386 kernel and modules doesn't work properly and I am
reliant upon open source developers, mainly kernel developers to work
through the issues presented by this specific hardware.

The fact is that even on the 64 bit versions, there has been regression
within Fedora 7 which used a 2.6.21 kernel when released and the last
update used a 2.6.23 kernel and now the systems no longer poweroff when
instructed to shut down (not a big deal but a minor nuisance).

The 2.6.23 kernel used on Fedora 8 is even worse for this specific
hardware. That hardware is not available with Windows XP
pre-installed...only Vista. Obviously there is some support for this
hardware within Windows Vista that isn't incorporated into 2.6.23
kernels (yet at least, perhaps in a test kernel that I am not aware of).

As for 64 bit Windows...it's there but few are using it because it is so
incredibly buggy that you have to be a martyr to use it so I'm told.

It's easy enough to boot a 64 bit Linux and run 32 bit versions of
programs provided that you have the library support to do so. Many
choose to do that for things like Firefox so they can use 32 bit only
versions of plugins such as Adobe's Flash and Acrobat Reader.

I just wanted to point out that you are drawing conclusions that I don't
believe are supported by my own experiences.

Looking at this matrix that is part of Fedora 8 installation
documentation,
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/sn-which-arch.html
it's pretty clear that they are recommending installation of the 86_64
version for all Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino Core 2 Duo, Xeon and AMD 64
processors.

Craig