Re: I hate Plesk (Backup Hell)

Author: JD Austin
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: I hate Plesk (Backup Hell)
I don't think anyone does voluntarily :)
In my case plesk came with my dedicated server.
I keep waiting for the open source world to create something better or
at least equivalent to manage and allow clients to manage domains,
mysql, email, and DNS... PLEASE tell me I missed one! :)

Plesk is a bunch of open source apps glued together with their
proprietary code.
They use php, mysql, bind, apache, tomcat, postgresql, qmail, and a
bunch of other things but configure it in a very non-intuitive manner
(kind of like Oracle does).
They have a neat application vault.. too bad they don't keep it up to
date as several apps have known vulnerabilities sure to get your server
hacked faster than you can click go.
The interface to users looks nice and works.
Administration is fairly easy until you need to upgrade.
I'm not sure Cpanel is any better though it is more popular.

Its just another case of a company placing their needs above the customer.
Plesk does a pretty good job of locking you into their goofy architecture.

JD