Re: ****

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ****
On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 09:31 -0700, Cary Mabe wrote:
> Hello fellow pluggers. I'm trying to set up my email through evolution on Gnome (Ubuntu 7.10) I think the evolution mail settings now are pretty friendly towards Gmail, but I'm stuck on what I should be doing to get msn email accounts to be checked and shown through the client. Plus, I would very much like to start using the other tools that come as part of evolution. If that's not possible, does anybody know how to set them up in Thunderbird? This would go a long ways towards convincing my wife that Linux is the way to go. otherwise, I see a Dell laptop with Vista in her future.

----
Gmail opened up their mail system to permit mail clients other than
their web interface - kudo's to Google for that thinking.

I would suspect that there are ways to get MSN (isn't that the same as
Hotmail?) via mail clients - I know that you can setup Lookout Express
to use Hotmail.

A simple google search...

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&c2coff=1&q=mail+client
+hotmail&btnG=Search

turns up quite a number of hits that suggest ways you can use a Linux
mail client to get Hotmail but again, I am assuming MSN/Hotmail to be
one and the same.

My deeper thinking is that if whether your wife uses Linux or not
revolves around whether she can use her Microsoft mail account with a
Linux mail client, then she should probably just buy a Vista laptop
because it will satisfy her low expectations.

Craig