Re: Dpkg

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Dpkg
Am 19. Nov, 2007 schwätzte gm5729 so:

> Is dpkg --get selections > dpkg.log the easiest way to get a snapshot
> of installed proggies and restore? I am in the process of getting
> ready to wipe my whole hdd and reinstall with new partitions. I have
> made so many tweaks it is hard to remember all the little things that
> I have done.

That's what I've used in the past. It doesn't grab the version. If that's
important to you use dpkg -l on each of the packages listed via
--get-selections. You might need to set the width on the output in order
to get the full version number. You can specify the version number with
apt-get install.

Rather than reinstalling you might try resizing your filesystems and
partitions. Still backup any important data first! Even if you end up
wiping the disk, it's an opportunity to learn about partition resizing for
the next time when you don't want to reinstall.

See a thread from a couple months ago for reasons why others said LVM is
good, such as being able to resize and move partitions on the fly.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Boredom is self-inflicted...der.hans