Re: linux linear programming model

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: linux linear programming model
After a long battle with technology, Alex LeDonne wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 4:17 PM, betty <> wrote:
>> anyone know a linear programming model (for feed ingredients) that is
>> avail as an open source program??? I do my own dog diet blending and it is
>> pretty tiring to use gnumeric (or else i don't know all the features;
>>
>> I looked on line but most (all) of the pet food programs are keeping it
>> close to the vest since it is their bread and butter (sorry about the
>> mixed metaphors :( )

That's a horse of a different feather, and once you let it out of the barn
door, it snowballs and has a life of its own sort of like a computer virus.

> What do you mean by "linear programming model"?
> What are the inputs, and what is the output you're looking for?

I believe betty is looking for something like this (from the BSD fortune
file):
----------------
Enter lots of data on calorie & nutritive content of foods. Instruct
the thing to maximize a function describing nutritive content, with a
minimum level of each component, for fixed caloric content. The
results are that one should eat each day:

        1/2 chicken
        1 egg
        1 glass of skim milk
        27 heads of lettuce.
                -- Rev. Adrian Melott
----------------

...except one that works properly, and one geared for dogs instead of people.
This can get very complex depending on the number of lines you have to deal
with and which factors you're trying to min/max. I did this a very long time
ago in junior high, but have forgotten everything except the basic concepts.
Searching for "linear programming" on freshmeat doesn't give you anything
that works with gnumeric or OOO, but does turn up a C package. This is
probably not what you want. Can't see anything in OOO's help either. Dang.

--
"Dreams? Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
--Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King