Re: Installing Oracle XE on a 64bit system - Free Beartothef…

Author: JD Austin
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: RE: Installing Oracle XE on a 64bit system - Free Beer to the first person who correctly solves my problem!
Subject: Re: Installing Oracle XE on a 64bit system - Free Beartothefirstperson who correctly solves my problem!
I sounds like your install is corrupt (I had that happen on a 64 bit
machine once); I would start over.
rpm -qa | grep -i oracle (there should only be 1 for XE).
uninstall oracleXE: rpm -e oracle-xe-10.2.0.1-1.0
then delete all of the oracle files and directories.

    rm -rf /usr/lib/oracle
    rm -rf /var/lib/menu/kde/Applications/OracleXE
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle-xe.rpmorig
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K05oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S80oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S80oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S80oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/sysconfig/oracle-xe
    rm -rf /etc/xdg/menus/oraclexe.menu
    rm -rf /usr/share/applications/oraclexe*
    rm -rf /usr/share/a2ps/sheets/oracle.ssh
    rm -rf /usr/share/vim/vim70/syntax/sqloracle.vim

Then re-install the rpm.
Install vncserver and enough of X to access the local desktop over vnc;
edit the .vnc/xstartup
Here's what mine looks like :

    #!/bin/sh

    # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    # unset SESSION_MANAGER
    # exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    gnome-session