Re: Running X on a virtual dedicated server

Author: Ted Gould
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Arizona State University Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: Running X on a virtual dedicated server
On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 18:37 -0700, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> As many of you know, I like my GUI tools. And I just purchased a
> virtual server from GoDaddy, but when I try to run an X app I get the
> generic error of cannot connect to X server. If I look at ps -A I see
> xinted running. If I try to startx I get
> xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.5195 (or some
> randum number)
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

I think you're confused at what you want. You don't want X running on
that computer, you want the programs to display on your X server running
on your machine. Try connecting like this:

ssh -X -Y -C myhost.com

That opens up X tunneling, sets the forward file, and does a little
compression for you too.

Some SSH servers aren't set up to support X tunneling by default, you
may need to enable it in /etc/ssh/ssh_config

        --Ted