Re: GOOG android on NPR now

Author: Carlos Macedo Gomes
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: GOOG android on NPR now
Dang it. I'm a Science Friday junkie but missed today's broadcast.
I'll have to DL the recorded version for playback.

Here's more news on Google, Android OS, and their plans for Google
owned radio spectrum (WiFi and WiMAX capable 700Mhz and possibly
others) :
http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB119517445580795065.html

The recent thread on definitions of PCs (looking from PCs to
phones/PDAs) should also consider looking from phones/PDAs to PCs.
UMD/MID (Ultra Mobile Devices / Mobile Internet Devices) will become
more and more common in the coming years. Intel is investing big in
this area which should translate to open IA interfaces for these
devices. If WiMAX comes about properly we'll have mobile/nomadic
broadband on small form factor Internet capable devices.

And the peanut gallery quesitons: 1) But will it run Linux?, 2) But
will it room Quake?, 3) but will it run Xxxx?. The answer should be
yes given the direction that Google, Intel and WiMAX forum are taking
these types of devices.

WiMAX should be good for UMD/MIDs since it has the potential to
liberate users from a fixed phone number (i.e., moves to a
mobile/nomadic IP address - possibly even IPv6 addy). And WiMAX forum
has a stated goal of complementing existing cellular service by
allowing for open application development on their architecture.

Wow.. tangent-o-rama. Coffee kicked in.

As you were...

ymmv,
C.G.