Re: yum versus apt

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: yum versus apt
On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 17:41 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 15:17 -0700, JT Moree wrote:
> >
> > Craig White wrote:
> > > apt (at least apt on rpm based systems) was rendered moot because it
> > > does not have the ability to handle architectures.
> >
> > apt on rpm is a port from debian and does things it's own way to deal
> > with rpm's deficiencies. So yes, apt on an rpm distro is suboptimal but
> > that's part of my point about yum. rpm is to blame for many of its
> > problems.
> >
> > > there are yum plugins such as the download plugin that permits download
> > > but not install.
> >
> > cool. Where can I get this plugin? In particular for Centos 5. If I
> > go to install later is it going to download again? (Hey, just asking. :] )
> ----
> yum install yum-utils
> man yumdownloader

----
fwiw - if you have more than say 3 systems that you maintain at the same
location, you probably want this instead...

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

takes approx 10Gb drive space but provides a local mirror so
installs/updates (yes, even using the dreaded 'yum') are lightning
quick. Heck it even makes apt fast.

Craig