Re: FC7->FC8 Upgrade via YUM

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: FC7->FC8 Upgrade via YUM
On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 13:42 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 13:22 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Just thought I would post that I successfully upgraded my FC7 to FC8 via
> > > YUM, and it went pretty smoothly. I first manually downloaded the
> > > fedora-release* packages from an FC8 repo mirror, and installed them via
> > > "rpm -Uvh fedora*". Then I did a "yum clean all" followed by "yum
> > > upgrade". After downloading and installing 1.1GB of new packages, I am
> > > now up and running FC8.
> > >
> > > So far I have noticed that for some reason my main fonts have
> > > changed...definitely larger point size. I checked my theme config and it
> > > was set to "custom" for some reason. I set it to the "Fedora" theme and
> > > it had no effect. I was previously using the nvidia drivers from the
> > > livna repo (which seem to work better for dual head), so that could have
> > > something to do with it. I no longer see the nvidia logo when X starts
> > > up, so I think I'm no longer using it, but dual head still works fine.
> > >
> > > Another thing I noticed is that I no longer have an issue with booting
> > > while my Logitech Webcam is plugged in. With FC7 it would for some
> > > reason set the webcam as my primary sound device (it has a mic
> > > built-in), and so my normal sound would not work unless I booted with
> > > the webcam unplugged. I could then plug it in later and all would work
> > > fine. This issue seems to be fixed now, not sure if new kernel did it,
> > > or if its the new sound drivers.
> > >
> > -----
> > dude - forgive me because I am such a slacker. I should have pointed you
> > toward this...
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq?highlight=%28upgrade%29%7C%
> > 28yum%29
> >
> > There is some real valuable info here
> >
> Thanks! I've done yum distro upgrades many times (even some pretty
> crazy remotely performed ones like RH7.2->FC6). That is indeed a
> useful page, as in the past I had to learn the hard way about things
> like the libata changing all hda devices to sda.
>
> I'm glad to see they have some notes on FC7->FC8. Looks like I'm glad
> my desktop isn't x86_64 or I would have had a lot more problems! Nice
> to see that there is apparently a flash plugin available now. I'm
> still using:
>
> # cat /etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux-i386.repo
> [adobe-linux-i386]
> name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
> baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
>
> I'm going to do that sound-and-video groupinstall, so I can play
> around with PulseAudio.

----
I think I would hang on to the Adobe repo. The libflashsupport I think
is to extend flashplayer support for Pulse Audio since it probably isn't
part of libflashplayer.so - make sense?

changing hda devices to sda devices wasn't a fedora thing...it was a
kernel thing. (2.6.22-18 I think). Fedora actually covered that in the
release-notes (as if anyone actually reads release-notes).

Craig