Re: link

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: link
On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 02:20:48PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Here is the situation:
> >
> > I have two 'documents' folders in my system. I want that whenever I write to
> > either of them the file goes into one. would a simple symbolic link achieve
> > this objective?
>
> Probably.
>
> Move the files from one of the folders to the other. Then delete the
> now-empty folder. And if you need it, create the symlink to existing
> folder.

... or rsync, or rsnapshot, or ..., or ...

I can't help but wonder if we knew more about what's going on if we
could figure out a better way to accomplish the real, underlying goal
here.

If someone tells you that coins are hard to pick up off the sidewalk and
they'd like to design something like a suction cup on a stick, we can
help. But it might be better to sew up the hole in your pocket instead.
But not knowing about the pocket, we can't help with the real problem
;-)

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation