OT: Stereotypes (Was: Re: SCO in Mesa)

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: OT: Stereotypes (Was: Re: SCO in Mesa)
Technomage-hawke wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 11:56, Craig White wrote:
>>
>> If you go, wear white shirts to blend in (and leave the Mountain Dew
>> behind).
>>
>> ;-)
>>

> don't forget the "white ON black" nametags (so common with mormons - I should
> I know, I *WAS* one once.)
>
> :)

I don't see anything offensive in the above comments. In fact, they are
kind of funny. Stereotypes are a good vehicle to poke fun at cultures
and sub-cultures. But I suggest caution in their use.

Stereotypes are useful since they provide a working context when dealing
with individuals from a certain group. The context allows workable
interaction in the absence of more detailed and personally specific
information.

Stereotypes are dangerous when they are continuously applied to all
individuals of a group, even if certain individuals have demonstrated
unique characteristics that allow deeper interaction. Limiting
another's ability to communicate and grow because they are pidgin-holed
by others into certain expected behaviors is not a good thing. Limiting
your own world view with the tunnel vision of stereotypes is bad for
yourself.

Alan