Re: Editing error

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Editing error
From: Harold Michels <>
> I have successfully edited the config.php file to enable passwords on
> the site for admin, reading, and editing. [But:]
> Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in
> /home/content/k/o/d/user/html/pmwiki/local/config.php on line 151
> The first time I encountered the error it it was saying line 152.
> The file is only 150 lines long
>
> so I put my cursor after the last character and
> banged on the delete key several times to clean things up and then put
> in a CTRL + z character for EOF.

^Z is *not* EOF, and never was under Unix-like systems. This is not
the problem. You should get rid of the ^Z if it's there, though.

> The last line of the file reads
> #                     '$GUIButtonDirUrlFmt/table.gif"$[Table]"');

It's been a while since I did any fiddling with PHP, but this syntax
may not be entirely right. The $[Table] looks ... odd, since PHP uses
something similar to Perl syntax and I'd expect a thing like
$array[$table] there. But they may have changed things between PHP3
and now.

> I don't know how to get the editor to display any hidden characters.
> What might I be missing?

Start vim or emacs, then. (There are 2 text editors: vim and emacs. All
others are neither powerful enough nor ubiquitous enough.) Also have a look
at line 149. If you have a missing ; or another missing char, that may
cause errors to be reported on the following line instead of the line with
the problem. HTH anyway,