Re: How to burn a dvd most dvd players can read?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to burn a dvd most dvd players can read?
Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> This is very helpful, Alan. Now I realize that I had not thought
> this thru sufficiently. So, a couple of follow-up questions below.
> I will probably want to try both paths, but for now, I'd just like
> to start with the simplest path.
>
> I'll download DVD Slideshow and give it a try.

http://dvd-slideshow.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

There are various GUI tools that make it easy to create the
dvd-slideshow configuration file and even fire it off for you. The ones
I mentioned do just that. You point it at a directory of photos and
tell it to make an .MPEG. This you burn to the DVD with the appropriate
menus.

Try this guide with QDVDAuthor:
http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/make_a_dvd_slideshow_using_qdvdauthor

Caution: I actually like QDVDAuthor and DVDStyler
(http://www.dvdstyler.de/) but the both have a tendency to crash at
times. As you work with it, save your project often!

Aside: Video editing and DVD authoring on Linux gets better and better
every year. The tools are way better now than just 2 years ago!
However, they are not the most mature or stable...yet. Every once in a
while I go review what is out there. Other PLUGgers keep me informed of
new ones which I check out. It is in a great state of usability but
needs stability and polish. Both are coming fast!

> Would you please comment a little further about Path 2 as I don't
> really understand what to do get that to work. I have two fairly
> recent DVD players and neither will display .jpg images burned onto
> a CD.

Many DVD players can also read a CD or DVD with .JPG files on it. The
player will then provide a basic menu to navigate in directories and
display the photos. Your player may require that the files be
structured in a certain way for it to read them. Check the player's
manual for information. If it doesn't mention this ability, it probably
does not have it.

Alan