Re: OT: LUGs dying out

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: LUGs dying out
Am 23. Jul, 2007 schw?tzte Shawn Badger so:

> Has anyone seen this article on /.
>

> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/23/1357259&from=rss

Just did :).

When I look at PLUG attendance I think we're still below where we were
several years ago. Then I remember that we have two general meetings on
different sides of town, a developer meetings and a monthly InstallFest.
We also have two Stammtische for the food, beer and socializing side of
things.

Other tech groups are rising as well: AzPHP has a strong attendance, Darrin
started PhxBUG, there are several Ruby groups, the Perl Mongers group
waxes and wanes, ASULUG, DeLUG, SMCC LUG, Desert Code Camp, the Phoenix
devhouse, Ubuntu LoCos, etc.

That's quite a bit!

My fear is that we're losing the message of Free Software. I know Darrin
keeps mentioning it at PLUG and PhxBUG, but only one or two people isn't
enough.

Let's make sure to support Phoenix Software Freedom Day!

Let's also remember to do more fun stuff like:

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/circuitsnacks

:)

ciao,

der.hans
#  "I have seen the enemy, and it is shiny." -- Benjy Feen, 22Jun2001