Re: Cable Modem / Router / Wireless

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Cable Modem / Router / Wireless
On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 02:39:42PM -0400, Matt Graham wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:53, after a long battle with technology,
> Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 10:26:59AM -0700, Shawn Badger wrote:
> > > BTW, what / who is "PHB"?
> > Pointy-Headed Boss (Dilbert)
>
> I thought it was "Pointy-Haired", since the cartoon character has pointy
> hair. At least that's the acronym expansion I've usually seen.

You're probably right. :)

> The real problem is when no local ISP offers the services (or just the
> lack of blocking/filtering) you need at a price you can afford. Then
> what do you do?

One option is to think you *need* this, that you have a *right* to it,
and so you are justified in violating your agreement. The alternative is
to accept that you either can't or won't pay the price.

> I haven't had to deal with this, but if you live out in a tiny town,
> you might. I've heard of people doing something called a "member-owned
> cooperative" approach to getting bandwidth, but that was in Alaska and
> the guy was kind of sketchy with details.

Another thought is that it's really hard to think why people need to run
servers out of their house. If you have a virtual Linux server somewhere
then you can do all your stuff there, and (client) ssh into it. Or set
up a VPN. That way you can buy the cheapest bandwidth at home and still
run services. Something along these lines was attempted by Brock with
epfarms.org (with *absurdly* low prices), but it had mixed results for
whatever reasons. It seems epfarms is still going, and could probably
use more people. They don't have shared hosting, but with some
involvement that might be a possibility. It surely doesn't hurt to ask.
See http://www.epfarms.org/contribute.shtml for info.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation