Re: I hurt my keyboard......

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: I hurt my keyboard......
Exactly why I said "basicly not conductive". In other words it is a crappy
enough conductor to not worry about in most situations. Certainly there are
better insulators, but as liguids go distilled water is pretty safe until
impurities are added (such as by rinsing stuff). So rinse thoroughly and
maybe even repeatedly (with fresh clean water) for some situations.

Almost anything will conduct electricity under some circumstances. One of
the other labs where I used to work (Central Research Laboratories at 3M)
spent a LOT of time testing materials under different conditions. What
qualifies as an adequate conductor or insulator really does depend on your
usage and point of view.

On 7/9/07, Matt Graham <> wrote:

> From: Dazed_75 <>
> > The key is not having any electrical source connected while doing this,
> > being very sure to avoid any residue (hence the distilled water), and a
> > THOROUGH drying.
>
> Aye. Worked for me, worked for other people on the list.
>
> > Remember that pure water is basicly not conductive until impurities are
> > added.
>
> Nope. H2O is a very weak electrolyte in its pure state, since the KA for
> it is 10^-7. Those of you who remember high school chemistry will know
> that pH 7 is "neutral", though chem people who need a pH 7 reference use
> buffer solutions instead of pure H2O for obvious reasons. Ultrapure H2O
> will conduct electricity, just not very well. Despite that, distilled
> H2O's
> chem characteristics are pretty good for cleaning up keyboards, since
> isopropanol can dissolve some inks.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> "I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
- George F. Will