Re: ffmpeg on ?

Author: KevinO
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ffmpeg on ?
Your main problem is not knowing/understanding package management for your
distribution. Since I am well familiar with Mandrake, I'll present a few of the
basics, in a (small) nutshell.

Urpmi is the tool to use to install and update software on a Mandrake/Mandriva
system.

Codecs, decoders, and other proprietary programs, that cannot be distributed in
the US are available on mirrors, non as plf-free and plf-nonfree sources.

When you sent up your Mdk system, you should have removed the CD as software
sources by:

# urpmi.removemedia -a

Then, use one of the EasyUrpmi websites, such as:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

to generate a series of urpmi.addmedia commands for each of the following
categories: main, contrib, updates, plf-free, plf-nonfree. I won't explain how to
use the web site here, the instructions on the page are self-explanatory.

Once you have installed these sources (and you need to do this, in order to get
security updates, software that didn't come on the CD's, etc.), all it takes to
install ffmpeg is:

# urpmi ffmpeg

All dependencies are resolved and fetched auto-magically.

By not using the built-in software management tools of Mandrake--which are pretty
good by the way--you are making it much harder than it has to be, likely going to
fail, and risk messing up your system.

Forget about 7z.
- --
KevinO