Re: Linux server with Windows server DNS?

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux server with Windows server DNS?
Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> There are mechanisms to do dynamic DNS in Linux/Unix/Solaris too, and they work similarly. The machine logs into it's "account" in NIS or LDAP and the DNS provider uses that information to answer DNS queries.

I recently converted our Active Directory domain from MS/DNS to BIND,
replacing the existing "legacy" BIND that was in place for the Linux
machines along with replacing the DHCP server. (clustering now)
BIND/AD integration is actually very simple in retrospect, it's just not
very documented anywhere. Every part is in a different how-to, and some
is only on an MS how-to. (my findings)
Basically the client updates dynamic DNS when it logs in. You are
required to set "allow-update" to every client, unfortunately.

> Note, the Linux Samba client allows Linux to participate in a Windows network, but Windows has nothing that will allow it to participate in a Linux network. That's why getting the two systems to interface requires adding Linux to the Windows AD via Samba, and not the other way around.

When a person says "Linux network", what do they mean?
NFS?
There are clients available that allow Windows to use NFS.

--Dan