Re: network unreachable

Author: Joseph Huber
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: network unreachable
Thanks for all the replies (on list and off).

It doesn't seem to be hardware (everything is okay if I boot it Windows). It
shouldn't be upgrade related... I haven't run any updates for some time (I
don't think Debian will decide to update anything for me unless I tell it
to - unlike a certain other OS)...

Can we focus on the "I'm guessing your DHCP server has crapped out" from
Jeremy Miller? I tried the "ifconfig eth0" and got a bunch of output but the
BROADCAST MULTICAST line wasn't prefixed with "UP" and I didn't have an
"inet addr x.x.x.x" line. I tried

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.51
gateway 192.168.2.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

in /etc/network/interfaces however - no joy following

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up

I brought the box back up to see what "ifconfig -a" had to say and it showed
a "UP" prefixing the BROADCAST line and showed gave the "inet addr" line
with the 192.168.2.51 address...

What's going on and what exactly is involved in the DHCP server crapping out
(and I guess needing at least a warm boot in order to get it to bring up the
static IP address)????

Joe