might buy a new wifi card for laptop PC (pcmcia)

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
CC: Mike L Schwartz
Subject: might buy a new wifi card for laptop PC (pcmcia)
Thanks to everyone who helped me (or, helped others)
at the install fest.
I have tried to do some "looking up", in preparation for
(maybe) buying a new (PCMCIA) wifi card for my laptop PC.
(IBM ThinkPad T22).
The Linksys that I have now seems to "sometimes" work OK,
but it has a BroadCom chipset that
(according to what I think I was told),
works better with some drivers that are in a Kernel
version that I might use in the future, but
that I am not using "yet".
(I think they said, that it is the 2.6.22 kernel).
I am currently running Ubuntu 6.06.
I found a ton of info at
   http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html
but there is so much listed there, I do not know where to start.
    One store that I went to, had a wifi card that said,
it was made by Belkin, and it just said "Wireless G Plus"
notebook card.  I could not seem to even find a part number
on the package.  Ditto the guy who worked there, who was
trying to help.
    Even when I googled it, all I came up with was
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179466
which did not seem to be specific, regarding which chip set
is used in that card.  Um, it does say "UPC: 722868511220"
which I could maybe have gotten from the bar-code.  But I
think the pciid is what I need to know, right?
    Sorry this is so vague.
If anyone has any advice, thanks in advance.
(any flames,
 you might want to send off-list, just to my e-mail address).
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ