Simple, but confounding, X-terminal question

Author: Mark Phillips
To: PLUG
Subject: Simple, but confounding, X-terminal question
I use an old laptop as an x-terminal. The laptop boots up to Debian and a
console prompt. I then login, issue the command 'X -broadcast' and I get my
gdm login prompt from the server. I login and everything works as it should.

There is an option on the login screen for "disconnect". I had hoped it would
allow me to disconnect from the server and drop back to the shell prompt on
the laptop. However, it just blanks the screen and then up comes the gdm
login prompt.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can use to make the disconnect button on
the gdm prompt stop the local X session?

How do I kill the local X session without Ctrl-Alt-F2, logging in again, and
killing it from the command line?

Thanks!

Mark Phillips