Re: Which ethernet wires go where

Author: eculbert
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Which ethernet wires go where
nic = Network Interface Card. Now days, it is either a
pci slot card or that hole in the back on the
motherboard.

Almost all mobo's today have a built in nic connector
on them and the nic logic is built onto the
motherboard.

One of my friends bought a system..sorta offbrand
one..because he could get it with a credit card. Its
onboard nic didn't work. So when we found out it had
to be shipped to Dallas, tx for repair/replacement, we
just filled one pci slot with the old nic board out of
the old system and it worked fine for years. I now
have that nic here in that system..inherited it. That
board was probably close to ten years old and I think
I am sending via it to you now!

Ed

--- Josef Lowder <> wrote:

> .
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:25, Dan Lund wrote
> > Just plug the wires into ports 1-4 and then into
> the nic on the computer.
> > It should light up, then your golden.
> > Be sure to plug the hub/switch into the wall.
>
> I don't know what a 'nic' is, but I do have it
> working now.
>
> Thanks.

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.