Re: OT: Horror Story

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Horror Story
I did not have to login to see the article. I did find that strange because in the past I have not been able to view because I do not have a login at Ny Times.

Kevin Brown <> wrote: For those of us who don't care to get a login to the NY times it would
be nice of the poster to include a little something more than just the
link to let others know what is in the link.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/world/06poison.html?_r=1&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fB%2fBogdanich%2c%20Walt&oref=slogin

So, I'm guessing this is what the story might be about:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world/chinas-toxic-syrup-a-global-killer/2007/05/06/1178390145340.html

A SYRUPY poison, diethylene glycol, is an indispensable part of the
modern world, an industrial solvent and prime ingredient in antifreeze.
It is also a killer. And the deaths, if not intentional, are often no
accident.

The kidneys fail first. Then the central nervous system begins to
misfire. Paralysis spreads, making breathing difficult, then often
impossible without assistance. In the end, most victims die.

Many of them are children, poisoned at the hands of their unsuspecting
parents.

Over the years the poison has been loaded into all varieties of medicine
- cough syrup, fever medication, injectable drugs - a result of
counterfeiters substituting the sweet-tasting solvent for a safe, more
expensive syrup, usually glycerin, commonly used in drugs, food,
toothpaste, and other products.

Keith Smith
A Free Full Page Ad on Do Phoenix
An up and coming Phoenix website