Re: *Ubuntu Proliferations?

+ (text/html)
Author: Joshua Zeidner
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: *Ubuntu Proliferations?
On 5/1/07, Fritz <> wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea why Canonical makes separate
> distributions for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.?

Canonical does make them, it sponsors them. Ubuntu is ultimately
community driven, Canonical just picks up corporate support contracts and
manages financial/technical problems for large firms( amongst other things
). You could, finances permitting, start your own Ubuntu support company
with no less privilege than Canonical (good luck finding as good people).
Do not confuse the Canonical model with the Red Hat model, these two
companies work very differently- I doubt you will find something comparable
to RHEL. Many Ubuntu people are not associated with Canonical at all. I
believe Dell just made a major deal with Canonical...

"An easy-to-use distribution for novices should not be cluttered with too
many choices."

I think Jeremy is on point here... the idea is to have an easy install
where the stack is preconfigured. Ubuntu is a really exciting idea because
it has the potential to get groups using Linux who did not have access to it
before.

-jmz

For example, I seem to recall other distributions that let you pick one or
> both of Gnome and KDE at install time. Later, depending
> on whether your ".xinitrc" is set to "gnome-session" or
> "startkde", one of the two desktops is activated when X starts up.
>
> Is there some real (technical) reason these are separate
> distributions?
>
> Fritz

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.