Re: Part Time Job Available

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Part Time Job Available
Technomage wrote:
> as for the wage: I make $12.00/hour standing around at Fry's (no joke, I get
> to stand there and say "hi!" and "Bye" to folks for 7 hours a day 4 days a
> week). Personally though, I'd rather be using my brains a bit more.

I think that's the key, sometimes. When I was first starting out before
I got my degree, I had a very hard time getting anybody to hire me. I
was working at a warehouse doing mindless box counting for $8 an hour
when I got an opportunity to do some programming work at the same $8 an
hour. The money was no different but the programming job allowed me to
hone my skills and gain some valuable experience.

Now if I was getting offers in that range *after* I got my degree, I
think I'd seriously reconsider going back to school for another degree!
But for a "first job", money isn't always as important as the experience.