Re: hdparm and sdparm

Author: Alan Dayley
To: kevin.faulkner, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: hdparm and sdparm
Kevin Faulkner wrote:
> hdparm is to IDE type devices as sdparm is to SCSI devices. I know that
> Linux sees SATA devices as /dev/sd*, I also know that you need to build
> your kernel with SCSI support if you plan on using any kind of SATA
> device, does this mean that you would have to sdparm for SATA devices? I
> really don't want to loose my hard drive experimenting, perhaps someone
> knows, if not then I will experiment.

The ATA Identify or SCSI Inquiry are safe commands to test. My computer
has a SATA drive at /dev/sda. My results:

# hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

# sdparm --inquiry /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: ATA       Hitachi HTS54168  SB2O
Device identification VPD page:
  Addressed logical unit:
    desig_type: vendor specific [0x0],  code_set: ASCII
 00     20 20 20 20 20 20 53 42  32 32 30 34 53 47 43 37          SB2204SGC7
 10     4e 4c 54 45                                         NLTE
    desig_type: T10 vendor identification,  code_set: ASCII
      vendor id: ATA
      vendor specific: Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00
SB2204SGC7NLTE
#

Does that help?

Alan