samba, kerberos and AD

Author: der.hans
To: quatsch
Subject: samba, kerberos and AD
moin moin,

I've been playing more with this non-functioning samba setup.

$ nmblookup -S $adbox
added interface ip=$clientIP bcast=$broadcastaddy nmask=$netmask
Socket opened.
querying $adbox on $broadcastaddy
Got a positive name query response from $adboxIP ( $adboxIP )
$adboxIP $adbox<00>
Looking up status of $adboxIP
         $ADBOX          <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
         $DOMAIN         <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         $DOMAIN         <1c> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         $ADBOX          <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
         $DOMAIN         <1b> -         M <ACTIVE>
         $DOMAIN         <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         $ADBOX          <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
         $DOMAIN         <1d> -         M <ACTIVE>
         ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         ADMINISTRATOR   <03> -         M <ACTIVE>

         MAC Address = $somemacaddy

$ kinit $username@$DOMAIN.COM
kinit(v5): KRB5 error code 68 while getting initial credentials
[lufthans@addon lufthans]$ kinit $username@$DOMAIN
kinit(v5): Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while
getting initial credentials

$adbox == the m$ box name in lower case
$ADBOX == the m$ box name in upper case
$DOMAIN == the client's name in upper case
$adboxIP == the IP addy of the m$ box
$clientIP == the IP addy of the samba box

Talking to someone who knows kerberos let me know that I need kerberos
working. He had to sleep before I could get help with the kinit questions.

Is there a better way to test whether or not kerberos is working?

As a reminder, the goal is to get the samba shares to be viewable via
normal network browsing from m$ desktops.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Hindsight is always 20/20, unless seen through beer goggles." -- der.hans