Re: Article Submission

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Article Submission
Dazed_75 wrote:

> Alan,
> Would you mind sending me some information? Specifically, the BCD info
> from Vista and the grub menu info from your /boot/grub/menu.lst. For
> Vista, open a command window as administrator and type bcdedit /enum >
> /anypath/bcdenum.txt (or leave off the redirect if you know how to
> copy/paste from a command window in Vista).

You are going to make me boot Vista for the fourth time since I got this
thing! ;^) It's about time anyway to let it do whatever security
updates since the last time I booted it.

I'll do that later today.

> I am finding more info on the web about the Vista changes so am
> interested in what Novell did. For example
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 shows the same stuff where
> someone installs XP after Vista.

I read some of that article and am also curious. I'm less curious about
why MS changed things since there can be many reasonable engineering
explanations. I'm more curious if OpenSUSE "knows" something via Novell
that other distros do not.

I'll make up a data package to send with the information you ask. If
you recall, GRUB is my main boot loader and provides me with the choice
between Vista and OpenSUSE. If I save off my MBR with dd, would that be
any help?

Alan