Need help with rdesktop and /dev/dsp

Author: Mark Phillips
To: PLUG
Subject: Need help with rdesktop and /dev/dsp
I have been using grdesktop for about 6 months without any issues. Now, it has
become flaky. It stops every few minutes with the error:

/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

When I run rdesktop from the command line I get
(from a scrip called video_factory.sh):
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
ERROR: get bitmap 2:29
./video_factory.sh: line 1: 31233 Segmentation fault

This is the command I am using:
rdesktop -u mark -p ******** -f -a 16 -k en-us -r sound:remote dumbo

All that has changed is that I got alsa to work on the machine that is running
rdesktop.

I assume there is a conflict with /dev/dsp and alsa, or esd or arts. How can I
fix this conflict so I don't have to restart rdesktop every few minutes? I
don't need to play any sound from the remote machine in the machine running
rdesktop.

Thanks!

Mark