Re: need a low-end distro recomend

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: need a low-end distro recomend
On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 09:22:53PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 11. Apr, 2007 schw?tzte Josh Coffman so:
>
> >I'm helping a friend.. I'm trying to extend the life of a WindowsME class
> >machine. It has a 30 gig drive, and 128 meg ram.
> >Forgot what processor it has. Can anyone offer a good distro suggestion?
>
> While there are some distros out there that specialize in working on
> machines with less horsepower than current desktops you might just be best
> off by going with whatever distro and choosing desktop settings that
> require less resources.
>
> Look in the archives for window manager threads for recommendations for
> things like ratpoison. ratpoison is probably not the correct window
> manager to recommend, but it's the one I could think of off the top of my
> head :).

I used ratpoison for quite a while. It's nice if you know and love
'screen.' I eventually ditched ratpoison in favor of ion, which I think
is all-around nicer. And you're right. Neither of these is probably the
right thing for this situation.

> Also, KDE used to have a configuration option to increase or reduce the
> use of eyecandy, so reducing that might make a current KDE useful on that
> box.

I think a wm like blackbox or fluxbox will also work well without much
horsepower, and they're much more like "normal" desktops.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation